This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
I have had this problem several times. Sometimes when I make calls, the person at the other end complains that I am sounding like a robot. It was weird to me because I could hear the person clearly at my own end. I had to do a lot of troubleshooting to be able to classify the problem and arrive at some sets of solutions for this problem.
This will be our focus in this article, I will look at the causes of this problem and what you as a user can do to solve the problem.
So Why Are My Airpods Making Me Sound Like A Robot? There are two major causes that I have identified that can lead to this problem and they are outdated versions and Debris in the Microphone. It is possible for some debris to cause sound distortion in the AirPod thereby producing some funny sound when you talk.
The way to remediate this is to clean the Airpod carefully. If your device is running on a lower version, sound distortion may also happen. In this case, you have to update your Airpods to solve the problem. Let’s now at how to carry out these two fixes:
1. Removing the Debris from the Airpods Microphone
Like I earlier stated, the Debris present in the microphones may be the reason why you are sounding like a robot. You can remove this debris by cleaning the Airpods.
Cleaning the Airpods should be done with extreme care so as not to damage the Airpods totally. Below are some precautions and guides on how to clean your Airpods.
Guide on how to clean the AirPods
- Do not immerse the AirPod underwater.
- Clean the Airpods carefully with soft, dry, and clean linen.
- Airpods are exposed to chemicals such as solvents, acidic foods, drinks, soaps, cosmetics, etc. Clean them with a cloth water-dampened cloth and then dry it up with a soft, dry, and clean linen.
- Do not use the Airpods if they are not dry.
- Do not allow any liquid to enter into the openings of the Airpods
- Do not scrap the Airpod with sharp objects such as a knife or needle.
Cleaning the Cushion and Headband of your AirPod
- Mix one tablespoon of detergent into about one cup of water
- Separate the Airpods cushions from the ear cups.
- For cleaning the headband, place the Airpod to facedown so as to prevent any liquid from getting into the headband attachment point.
- Using clean linen dipped in the detergent mixture to rub on the cushion and headband gently for about 50 seconds each.
- Clean both the cushion and headband with another linen that is a bit dampened with water.
- Dry both with a separate soft, clean, and dry cloth and ensure that all forms of moisture are removed.
- Leave the Airpod to stay dry for about 24 hours before you couple back the cushion and use them again
Read Also: Do Airpods Get Scratched Easily?
2. Resetting your Airpods
Another possible fix to the sound distortion is to reset the Airpods. This is a very simple process. In other to reset your Airpods, follow the following steps:
- Place the AirPods inside their Case, close the cover and wait for about half a minute before opening the cover.
- Go to the iPhone, iPad, and iPod that the Airpods are paired to. Navigate to settings. From Settings, tap on Bluetooth and tap the ‘i’ icon that is close to the name of your Airpods. Tap forget this device and tap on ok to confirm.
- With the cover of the case open, press and hold the setup button located at the back of the case for about 20 seconds and you will see the status light showing Amber.
- Finally, reconnect the Airpods. You do this by placing the Airpods close to the iPhone, iPad, or iPod and then following the steps as prompted on the screen of the device.
How to identify Original Apple AirPods
In a world filled with so many counterfeits, it is important to acquit yourself with enough knowledge that will enable you to distinguish an original product from the counterfeits. In this section, I will be guiding you on the steps you can take to differentiate between an original Apple Airpods from others.
Read Also: Why Do My Airpods Keep Cutting Out Music?
This is the most accurate way to distinguish an original Apple Airpods from others. This is because every Airpods comes with a unique serial number that can be confirmed on Apple’s original website.
Next time you want to buy AirPods, check the serial number on the device and check to see if it corresponds with one on apple’s site. If it is not, then it is obvious, it is NOT an Original Apple product.
The serial number is usually found on the inside of the Airpods case. The number is readable immediately if you bring out the Airpods from the Case. When you get this number, write it down and go to Apple’s official website and paste it. The query will return with a web page telling you if the product is authentic or not.
Other things that can give you clues as to if the Airpods are Authentic or not are:
- Apple releases its Airpods in white colours only at least for now. This means any Airpod with a colour other than white not an Authentic Apple Airpod.
- Ideally, the Authentic Airpods connect faster to your iPhone. It shouldn’t take you more than 10 to 15 seconds to connect the Airpods to your phone.
- Authentic Apple Airpods generally have a better battery life than others.
- Most of the other Airpods have a female voice that plays after connecting the Airpod to the device unlike the Original Airpods that only play audio generic to Apple products.
- Apple Airpods do not come with the type C USB charging port. Instead it comes with the classic Apple lightning port.
- If the Airpod is not from Apple, the ‘find my Airpod’ feature in the iPhone will not work.
4 Common Apple AirPod Issues and How to Resolve them
Airpods have continued to gain wide acceptance since their introduction to the market in 2016. The major advantages it has over the other headphones and earpiece are superior sound quality, wireless nature, they are easier to carry around, they fit perfectly into the ears among others.
Read Also: Can Dropping Your Airpods Damage Them?
Just like every other technological device, Airpods develop issues once in a while and as a user of these products, you need to equip yourself with the knowledge and skills needed to resolve these issues by yourself by consulting a professional.
In this section, I will be chronicling the top 5 common issues you are likely to experience when using the Apple Airpods. I didn’t just stop at describing the problem and the cause, I went ahead to suggest ways you can employ to fix them yourself and save yourself money, time, and even the stress of looking for an expert. So let’s get started.
Problem 1: Airpods Not Pairing with other devices
This is one of the most common issues I see among AirPods’ users. In this scenario, the Airpod cannot pair with either a phone, computer, or a watch. Whenever you are facing this issue, there are a lot of options you can explore to get it fixed.
If you are pairing a new Airpod to a phone for the first time, you have to ensure that the phone is unlocked and on the home screen. After doing this, open the lid of the Airpods case and then wait for some seconds, the phone will detect the Airpods and you will see a prompt on how to go on with the pairing. Follow the guide to the end.
Let me state here that your Airpods have your Apple ID, so there is no need to do another pairing after you have completed the initial pairing. However, there are times you may have issues with pairing and you will have to manually pair them.
To manually pair an Airpod to a phone, Go to the Bluetooth setting of the phone and then open the Bluetooth setting, Open the lid cover of the Airpods case then press and hold the button at the back of the case. You will notice an Amber Led light flashing Amber continuously.
Lastly, proceed and pair the Airpod again.
This troubleshooting process is not just applicable to Apple Airpods, you can use it to fix any Bluetooth connectivity issues between a phone, iPad, or iPad and any other audio device.
Problem 2: Airpods Pairing with the Wrong Device
This issue usually comes up in a place with many iOS devices. It is possible for the Airpods to get confused and in such a case the default logic is for the Airpod to connect to the last device that I was connected to.
If you are having this issue on an iPhone, you have to Navigate to the control centre and then locate the Airplay icon located in the ‘now playing’ space. Then click on your Airpod from the list.
Read Also: Why Is Airpods Pro Mic Bad?
To locate your control centre for a model of iPhone less than an iPhone, you have to swipe from the bottom of the screen. For iPhone X and the newer versions, the control centre can be found by swiping down from the top-right hand corner of the screen.
If it is on a computer, you can pair your Airpods from the system preferences. You will locate the Airpods by clicking on sounds and then output.
Problem 3: AirPods Not charging
If you discover that your Airpods are not charging, the first thing you need to check is the charger. Try charging another phone or Airpod with the same charger, if the charger can charge another device, it means that the problem is not the charger but likely from the AirPods.
Read Also: Do Airpods Work With Microsoft Teams?
One thing you can do is try cleaning the charging port. This is to remove any dust or debris that may be likely causing the Airpods not to charge. U can achieve this using a tiny but sharp object such as a needle to take out the dust and debris inside the port.
If the above step fails, try plugging the charger into the Airpods and leave it for like 20 minutes.
If this fails, you may need to contact an Apple technician to take a final look at it and advise whether you will change the Airpods or not.
Problem 4: Poor Audio Quality
If you are experiencing this problem, you need to check out for interference especially from your Wi-Fi routers. Wi-Fi routers operate on the same 2.4 GHz frequency as Bluetooth devices.
Due to this factor, the Wi-Fi can interfere with Bluetooth connection and this can lead to sound distortion. If you observe this to be the problem, you can move away from the Wi-Fi and check if the audio will improve.
If this doesn’t work, you may need to check for hardware damage. This should be done by an Apple-certified technician.
Why Are My Airpods Making Me Sound Like A Robot – Conclusion
I strongly believe you have picked up one or two new knowledge about Airpods in this article. Airpods are wonderful audio devices. They have continued to gain more acceptance since their launch five years ago.
Just like every other device, Airpods also comes with their own challenge. One of the problems user do experience is audio distortion.
This makes your voice sound so unnaturally like that of a Robot. In this article, we identified two possible causes of this which are dust and debris present in the microphone in which case, we need to carefully clean the Airpod and remove all the dirt that may be causing the sound distortion.
Another cause of this problem is when you are running on an outdated version. You need to constantly update your Airpods for them to function optimally.
I believe you found the information in this article very helpful. Kindly leave your review, questions and contribution on the comment chat, I will respond accordingly.