This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
For a music maverick like me, owning an Echo dot speaker and a Sonos speaker might come as a surprise to the average man. However, there are certain things you have to consider especially when it comes to their compatibility, and one of the questions you might have in this regard will usually be, “Does Echo Show work with Sonos?”
The answer to this question is actually very straightforward. Echo Show will control the Sonos one and any other Sonos product, but it will not play music when Sonos is playing music.
After reading a lot of reviews, I found out that the integration between Alexa and Sonos was only designed for voice commands or assistants and not for music, and besides, Sonos has its way of syncing all of its speakers to the dual room and they are also in the corporation of trading Sonos speakers.
Technically, the Alexa possibly does not have the right processing power for Sonos syncing and play techniques, so to simply put it, Sonos can easily become an Alexa, but Alexa cannot become a Sonos.
Read Also: Can Sonos Speakers Get Wet? Find Out
How do I set up my Echo Show to control my Sonos?
In this article, I’d direct you on how to set up your Echo Show to control Sonos and you can also amplify Amazon Alexa/Echo Show promptly to your Sonos voice-enabled speaker.
Before starting, ensure you carry out the following;
- Confirm if the Echo Show is accessible on Sonos in your area.
- Download the Alexa application/Echo Show and configure your Echo Show device. NB: any device that is Alexa enabled can control Sonos so far as the Sonos skill is allowed.
- Ensure that your Sonos device has been configured and that your device has the newest software version.
- To set up your Echo Show to control your Sonos follow the steps below.
Step 1: Allow the Sonos skill
- Click open the Sonos Application for iOS or Android.
- Proceed by clicking on the menu, then settings. From the settings, tap on services and voice, then add a service> Echo Show>add Echo Show.
- After you have been redirected to the Echo Show application, click on enable to be able to sign in to your Sonos account and allow the Sonos skill.
Step 2: Find the devices in the Alexa application
After allowing the Sonos skill, the Echo Show application will urge you to find devices. Your Alexa-enabled device which is your Echo Show needs to go through this finding process. You can also tell Alexa to find devices by simply saying “Alexa find my devices”.
Read Also: Can Sonos Arc Sit On A Shelf?
Step 3: Make use of Echo Show with Sonos
After you have set up your Alexa-enabled device, which is your Echo Show, attempt some commands to play music on Sonos to confirm that it’s working appropriately.
What should I do when Alexa commands are not working on Sonos?
I would provide steps that would help you fix problems with Alexa not obeying commands, not replying at all, or replying with errors like “hmm, I am having trouble understanding you right now.”
Before proceeding with the steps:
- Examine the microphone LED lights on your voice-enabled Sonos speaker. If the light is turned off, click on the microphone icon to swallow the mic and attempt the command again. Shift the speaker off from walls, another speaker, and origins of background noise like the fan to ensure that Alexa can hear you well.
- Re-allow the Sonos skill by opening the Alexa application and clicking on the menu in the upper left. Click on skills and games, then your skills, Sonos, and disable skills. Immediately you have disabled, click on allow skill.
- If you get the answer “link music services” or “allow the Sonos skill” from Alexa, please do so in the Alexa application before progressing with the steps below.
- Finally, one Amazon account can only be used with one Sonos device at a time. If you have another Sonos device somewhere else, you would need to make use of another Amazon account if you would have to make use of Alexa in the two places.
If you own a Sonos voice-enabled speaker.
Click open the Alexa application on your android or iOS device.
Click on the menu in the upper left and click on skills and games, then your skills, Sonos, and disable skills.
Unregister your Sonos speaker from Alexa/Echo Show by heeding the instructions on amazon’s website.
Undermine the voice control in the Sonos application. Tap on settings, from the settings, click on service, and pick Echo Show/Amazon Alexa below voice. Pick the voice-enabled speaker from the list of Sonos devices and click on remove Alexa.
Sign out of all the amazon applications on your mobile device entailing the Amazon application, Alexa application, and Amazon.com on your mobile device browser.
- To log out of the amazon mobile application:
- On your mobile device, click open the application and click on Menu, then account and sign out.
- While on your iOS devices, click open the application and click on the menu icon on the upper left side and then pick settings >not name?
Make use of the Sonos application and complete the Alexa configuration again. Obey the steps to log in to the right Amazon account when urged or required to do so.
Immediately it’s completed, attempt giving Alexa another command.
If you do not own voice-enabled Sonos speakers.
Click open the Alexa application.
Click on the menu in the upper left and click on skills and games, then click on disable skills.
Unregister your Sonos speaker from Alexa by obeying the instructions on the Amazon website.
Allow the Sonos skill again by going back to the skills and games, then your skills, Sonos and tap on enable skill.
Immediately it is completed, attempt to give Alexa another command.
NB – If all the steps listed above do not settle your problem, kindly contact Sonos customer care for help.
Read Also: Can Sonos Speakers Work Without WiFi?
What should I do if Alexa does not play music?
Trying to troubleshoot the problem where Alexa would not play music could be a bit complicated because it could emanate from numerous places. To fix those problems, you have to follow the steps below.
Step 1: Enhance your internet speed
Sometimes, Alexa would not play music because of your poor network speed. To gain a better internet speed, attempt the steps below:
- Disconnect unfamiliar devices to decongest the network.
- Keep your device on a high surface.
- Decrease interference by placing your connected devices off metals, walls e.t.c.
- Use the 5Ghz channel of your router if it’s enabled on it.
Step 2: Validate if your subscription is still active
- Go to the Amazon website on your mobile phone browser.
- Log in to your account.
- Tap on your name above the”account and lists” at the upper part of the page.
- Then go to memberships and subscriptions.
Step 3: Reboot your Echo Show
- Turn off your Echo.
- Disconnect your Echo from the power source.
- Let the Echo be disconnected for at least half a minute, then connect your Echo back to the power source.
Step 4: Pick prime as your default music service
- Start by opening the Alexa application.
- Click on the three dots on the upper left-hand side of your screen.
- Tap on settings.
- Click on music.
- Pick the default services choice.
- Pick Amazon music.
This step works effectively when you have more than one music player on your Alexa application.
Step 5: Ensure the song is accessible
One of the reasons why Alexa will not play your music can be because the song you intend to stream is not accessible – although the Amazon prime unlimited has more numerous songs than prime music.
To troubleshoot your Alexa, try to play another song. If this new music plays with no problem, then you should know that the music you were trying to stream is not accessible.
Step 6: Click open your firewall ports
- Search for your IP address.
- Click open your internet browser.
- On the address bar, type your IP address and press enter.
- Put your router username and password.
- On the settings, search for the port forwarding region.
- Click on the following ports.
Step 7: Fix your country in Amazon
- Go to Amazon’s manage your content and devices website page.
- Log in to your account.
- Tap on settings.
- If you do not find the settings link, tap on go to the manage your content and devices page.
- Click on the country settings.
- If you do not see the country settings, go to preferences, then country or region settings.
- Press the change button.
- Redo the country field of your recent country.
- Pick the “click here to learn more about other Amazon sites link. “
- Select learn or learn about.
- Fix your country in the update your default kindle store to Amazon.
Step 8: Unable explicit filter
- Start the Alexa application.
- Click on the three dots on the upper left of the page.
- Click on settings.
- Tap on music.
- Below account settings, click open, explicit filter.
- Allow explicit filters by toggling the switch.
Step 9: Unregister and re-register your Echo device
- Click open the Alexa application.
- Tap on devices.
- Go to Echo and Alexa, then your device name.
- Move down and click on unregister.
- After you unregister your Echo, register and fix it up again.
Step 10: Redo your location, time zone, and language
- Click open the Alexa application on your mobile device.
- Click on devices.
- Navigate to Echo and Alexa, then your device name.
- Confirm that your location, time zone, and language are all correct.
How do I play music on all Echo devices?
You can play music on all Echo devices by making use of the Alexa application to organize a dual-room music group. Follow the steps below to do that.
- Click open the Alexa application.
- Tap on devices.
- Pick plus (+), then pick combine speakers.
- Choose dual-room music.
- Obey the instructions on the application to complete the setup.
NB – music from video contents does not play on dual-room music groups, and a dual-room music group that is named everywhere has been automatically organized when you have more than one device.
What can Alexa do on Sonos?
You can make use of Alexa to monitor Amazon music, iTunes, Spotify, Deezer, Audible, and TuneIn. Fix default music to lessen commands.
Play games, set timers, work out, find recipes, get news updates, order food, manage your shopping list items and meditate with a lot of Alexa skills.
Does Echo Show Work With Sonos – Conclusion
After a lot of reviews as stated earlier, I discovered that the Echo Show can control the Sonos one and any other Sonos products but it would not play music when Sonos is playing, and I also found out that the integration between Alexa and Sonos was only designed for voice commands or assistants and not for music and Sonos has its way of syncing all of its speakers to the dual room and they are also in the corporation of trading Sonos speakers.
You can set up your Echo Show to control Sonos by following the steps I listed above and when Alexa is not obeying commands, not replying at all, or replying with errors like “hmm, I am having trouble understanding you right now” follow the steps I listed above.
Like I said earlier, trying to troubleshoot the problem where Alexa would not play music could be a bit complicated because it could emanate from many places, but if you follow the steps, I listed above you should be able to troubleshoot the problem.
I also listed what Alexa can do on Sonos. I hope I have been able to answer all your questions in the above article, feel free to ask more questions and also add more ideas in the comment section.
I would be glad to answer your questions and also learn from you. I expect your comments in the comment section. Cheers!!!