This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
In continuation of my series of articles discussing trending and common issues about Airpods, I will in this article look at the possibility of using someone’s else Airpods in your case. Airpods have evolved since their launch in 2016 to become the most popular wireless audio devices in use today.
As people use the device, different use cases are generated such as the one we will be looking at in this article. So let’s get started!
So, Can I Use Someone Else’s Airpods In My Case? Have you ever wondered if it is possible to connect to someone else’s Airpods in your case? The answer is yes. If someone is charging his or her Airpods in your case, it is possible to connect to it from your iPhone.
This is because Airpods can be paired to more than one device at a time. This makes it possible for you to connect your Airpods to someone else’s iPhone or to use your iPhone to connect to another person’s Airpods.
All you need to do is to open the lid of the charging case and follow the screen prompt and in a minute, you would have completed the connection process.
Read Also: Do Airpods Get Scratched Easily?
How to connect two sets of Airpods to one iPhone
Apple did something fantastic in its iOS 13 release. It allows you to pair two different sets of AirPods to a single iPhone.
This is simply incredible as it allows you to listen to audios, videos, podcasts, and others with your friend, spouse, or colleague at the same time from a single device. The good thing about this is that it is not hard to set this up. If you want to have this set up on your devices, follow the steps below:
Upgrade your device to iOS 13. This feature will not work in any other lower version of iOS.
Connect the first Airpod to the iPhone and tap on ‘Done’ when you finish the pairing process.
Bring the second Airpod you want to connect close to the iPhone and then open the lids of the charging case. Watch out for a prompt telling you if you want to Temporarily share Audio or connect to an iPhone.
Tap on Temporarily share audio. After doing this, you will get a prompt to press and hold the button at the back of the Airpod charging case.
You will get a notification that the guest pair is connected. Tap Done when it finishes connecting.
The two Airpods are now connected. You both can now listen to the same audio and video content simultaneously.
10 things you have to know about Airpods
1. The status light in the Airpod charging case
When you open the lid of the Airpod case, you will see a light in the middle of it. The function of the light is to indicate the charge status of the Airpods when they are inside the charging case or the charge status of the charging case when no Airpod is plugged in.
Read Also: Do Airpods Work With Microsoft Teams?
The status light has three different colours. Green, Amber, and white. The Greenlight is an indicator that the device is fully charged. Amber indicates that the battery level is less than the full charge.
When the device is flashing white, it indicates that the Airpod is ready for pairing for a device. When the Amber light is shining, it is an indicator that you have to reconnect the device again.
2. Connecting your Airpods with a Non-Apple device
It is also possible to connect an Airpod to a non-apple device like your Android phone or non-apple computers. There is a small flushing button at the back of the Airpod that will be helpful for connecting to non-apple devices. To do this follow the following steps.
- Put the Airpod inside the charging case and keep the lids open.
- Press the flush button at the back of the charging case until it starts blinking white.
- Navigate to the Bluetooth setting on the non-apple device. You should see the Airpod on the list of devices ready for connection.
- Tap on the Airpod and wait for a few seconds for the connections to complete.
Note: Features like Automatic Ear Detection which enables the Airpods to stop playing when you take the AirPods out of your ears will not function in non-apple devices.
3. How to Change the Name of your Airpod
By default, if your name is Anderson, the name of your Airpod will be ‘Anderson’s Airpod’. However, it is possible to change this default name. To do this follow the following steps:
- Navigate to the setting of the iPhone.
- Tap on Bluetooth
- Tap on the ‘i’ symbol beside the name of the Airpod
- Tap on the Name of the Airpod and then change it to whatever you want to change it to.
4. Use one Earpod to Save the Battery
One of the ways you can extend the life of the Airpod is to use only one Airpod instead of the two.
This tip is especially useful when you are in a situation where there is no means to charge the device.
For instance, if you are travelling for a long distance, you can decide to use only one Airpod while the other remains in the charging case.
Read Also: Can Dropping Your Airpods Damage Them?
When the one you are using runs out of battery, you can swap the two. In that way, you will be able to use the device for a much longer time frame.
The beauty of Airpods is that even when using one of the AirPods, the device changes automatically from stereo mode to a mono mode, and as such, you will enjoy the full audio effects as if you are using the two.
5. Manually Set the Airpod to use either the Right or Left Microphone
By default, when you receive a call, the Airpod automatically decides which of the two microphones to use for the call. The choice of which microphone to use is decided by some algorithm which is beyond the scope of this article.
There are times you may want to choose either the left or right Airpod Mic as your preferred choice for making calls. To do this, follow the following steps:
- Go to the Airpod setting and tap Bluetooth.
- Tap the ‘i’ beside the name of the Airpods.
- Under my device, you will see an option telling you Microphone.
- Under the Microphone, you will notice that the default selection is Automatically switching Airpods. This option tells the Airpods to alternate between the microphones of the two AirPods.
- Go ahead and select either ‘Always left Airpods’ or ‘Always Right Airpods’. Either of these options will set the Airpod to use the left or right Airpod respectively.
6. How to check the Battery level of the Airpods or the Charging Case
There are many ways you can check the battery level of your Airpods or the charging case.
First, you place your Airpods inside your charging case, keep the lid open and bring it closer to the iPhone, you will see a pop-up on the iPhone telling you the battery level of both the Airpods and the charging case.
You can also see the battery level of your Airpod from the Notification centre. Swipe down the notification centre and from there swipe right to see today’s view.
Read Also: Why Do My Airpods Keep Cutting Out Music?
Continue scrolling down until you see the battery widget. The battery widget shows you the battery level on your Apple devices such as iPhone, iPad, or Airpods.
You can also get the battery level of your Airpods from your Apple watch display. To do this, get the Airpods out of the charging cape and from the home screen of the Apple Watch, swipe up to get to the control centre. Tap the battery icon and you will see the battery level of the Airpods.
Finally, you can use the Artificial intelligence feature of the Airpod called Siri to get the battery level. After activating Siri, you can know the battery level by simply saying ‘Airpod battery’ and you Siri will respond telling you how much battery is left on the Airpods.
7. Finding your Airpods when you lose them
One of the greatest criticisms of the Airpods, when it was launched by Apple, was that it will be easy to lose them since they are wireless and small.
It didn’t take long to discover that Apple had plans for this and had included a feature to help you locate the Airpod when it is lost. The feature is called ‘Find my iPhone. You can use the ‘find my phone feature to find a lost Airpod by downloading the App from the Apple store or via the iCloud website.
8. Share Music With a friend
You can also listen to music with a friend simultaneously from the same iPhone. This was one of the most defining features that came with the release of the iOS 13 late in 2017. With this feature, you can connect two different sets of Airpods to a single iPhone and both users can enjoy the same music and other audio contents at the same time. Quite incredible right?
9. Updating your Airpods
Like most devices, Apple releases firmware updates for Airpods once in a while. It is essential to always update your devices to the latest firmware.
This is because every update comes with two main advantages. Better security than the former versions and then some additional features.
For Airpods, ideally, the Airpods should get automatically updated to the newest firmware anytime you connect it to an iPhone.
There are times the device may not automatically update itself even after connecting it to an iPhone and you will have to manually check for new updates and run the update by yourself. To do this, follow the following steps:
- Go to the Settings of the iPhone, tap on General, and from there tap ‘About’ and finally tap on Airpods. This should show you the current firmware version of the Airpod.
- If the Airpod is not running the most recent firmware update, you can trigger the update by placing the Airpods in the charging case.
- Keep the charging case lid open so that you can see the notification indicating the battery level. After this, close the charging case, the Airpods will be updated in less than half an hour. Apple releases new firmware updates once in a few months.
10. Pairing your Airpods to your Mac
Pairing your Airpods to a Mac device will be easier if you have previously paired the AirPods to an apple device that is signed in to the same iCloud account as the Mac. If you have done this, follow the following steps to pair your Airpods to the Mac.
Read Also: Why Is Airpods Pro Mic Bad?
- Place the AirPods in your ears.
- From the menu bar on your Mac, click the Apple icon and then click on system preference.
- Click on Bluetooth from the System preference panel.
- Select AirPods from the list of Bluetooth devices available. If you do not see my Bluetooth device, it may mean that the device Bluetooth is turned off, turn on the Bluetooth and wait for some seconds for the list of Bluetooth devices to populate.
- When you confirm that the Bluetooth is on, put the Airpods inside the charging case and leave the lid open.
- Press and hold the setup button at the back of the Airpod.
The Airpod should now come up as an option under Bluetooth. Now, your Airpod is paired to your Mac and you can now play sounds from the Mac on the Airpods.
Can I Use Someone Else’s Airpods In My Case – Conclusion
We discussed quite a lot of things in the article. Primarily, I looked at the possibility of connecting your iPhone to someone’s else Airpod in your case and As I said, it is possible to do that and I have outlined the simple steps you can take to make that happen. Keep sending in your suggestions, criticism, and questions on the topic. I will be glad to know what your experiences are while following the outlined steps. Thank you!